Members | Future Generations Learning Community

Results

Kelli Fleming's profile picture

Kelli Fleming - Admin

I was born near London, England and spent her early years on the Indian Subcontinent of Bangladesh, Nepal & India. I currently live in Blacksburg, VA with Dave and my two school-age kids Asher and Eli. 

I am in the middle of a PhD in Instructional Design and Technology with an emphasis on Mobile Learning. 

Prior to joining Future Generations, I was living in New Zealand and working at the University of Otago developing the online teaching and learning outreach for Health Professionals. 

Joined: 9 April 2018
AN HO's profile picture

AN HO - Member

I have been working on food businesses for 9 years from 2010. In 2013, after 3 years working for a Pangasius processor and exporter in An Giang Province, I very soon recognized the obstacles and barriers such as the lack of comprehensive understanding of international food quality legislation, less effective communication with quality assurance parties and global quality-regulating associations, weak management of wastewater and environmental protection policies that all caused lots of risks and prevented almost all food processors in the region from a long term and sustainable growth. I was really passionate to figure out how I could sort out the issues, then I decided to move to Intertek - an international quality assurance organization - in order to learn how the system of quality control and assurance work, also to look back the fish export business at a different perspectives to figure out a suitable, efficient and adaptable solution. 

Recently, I have been working at Intertek for 5 years to provide quality solutions for food packers, not only in Mekong Delta but in whole Vietnam, Asia, and worldwide. One of the projects I am working on at present is the ASC project where I collaborate with the Aquaculture Stewardship Council (UK) to help fish/shrimp farmers in Vietnam control the use of antibiotics on their farms. The mission is to ensure the best clean products produced with the least negative effects on the environment. At the same time, I am coordinating with other international authorities to provide the most updated quality legislation to the food exporters together with Intertek services including testing, inspection, and certification called Total Quality Assurance (TQA) in order to identify and mitigate the intrinsic risks in the food production process to power the food community ahead confidently and safely.

In another corner, I have successfully applied to an English language center to work as a teacher with the hope that I can somehow integrate my experience in English teaching for students and also for me as well to develop reality-based critical thinking, effective problem-solving skill and create a community of sharing, adaptability, proactive interaction and sustainability.

To talk about characteristics, green and red represent my attributes.  In addition, I'm very family-oriented and I love doing social works because I grow up in poverty but with lots of love from my family and neighborhood. 

I also love studying psychology to get the insights of human for the best approach to people and other creatures as well if possible as I love nature.

Joining F.G.U is a great chance ever in my life to first develop myself and meet all great professors and friends and then to form a community with sustainable growth orientation and mission to leverage or scale it up to bigger levels. This is not just words but requires entire lives and generations to achieve.

Joined: 4 January 2019
Abdishakur (GEELE)'s profile picture

Abdishakur (GEELE) - Member

Joined: 2 July 2018
Abdul Rashid Abdullah's profile picture

Abdul Rashid Abdullah - Member

Abdul Rashid Abdullah - Scouting Magazine 2012My name is Abdul Rashid Abdullah or Rashid for short. I'm a father of 4 children, married to a beautiful wife from Malaysia, a US Army Airborne Veteran, an Eagle Scout and Scout Leader, a Community Leader, and a long career in Information Technology, currently serving in a position as an IT Professional. I have several passions in my life: Muslim Service Members and Veterans, Civic Engagement, Youth Development, and Interreligious Dialogue. As much as possible, I find ways of blending all of my interests and talents.

Everyone has a story, that makes them who they are. To shorten mine, let me begin with one of the most defining moments of my life. Home on Thanksgiving vacation from college in 1990, I sat for my Board of Review and achieved the rank of Eagle Scout in 1990 with Troop 1 of Rohnert Park, CA, chartered to St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Catholic Church, in what was then known as the Sonoma-Mendocino Area Council, now the Redwood Empire Area Council. Exactly a week earlier, I had accepted Islam. Those two events have molded my life ever since.

I mentioned one of my passions is Scouting. It occupies a big part of my life and it's the main reason I am here.  I am currently the Executive Director and co-founder of NAMAS, the National Association of Muslim Americans on Scouting, and past Crew Advisor for Crew 114. I also serve as the Chair of the National Capital Area Council Religious Relationships Committee, the National Capital Area Council Endowment Committee, and Chair for the Association for Muslim Eagle Scouts, an affinity group of the National Eagle Scout Association. 

I have been a trainer assisting with Wood Badge, Pow-Wow, University of Scouting, and various other Council, District level training at the Cub, ScoutBSA, and Venturing levels. I have helped many other Muslim organizations start their own Scouting programs. I was the founding and now past Chair for the National Capital Area Council Islamic Committee on Scouting, founding Chartering Organization Representative, and Committee Chair for the Islamic Center of Northern Virginia Scouting Program and its Pack, Troop, and Crew.

One of my biggest passions is the Messengers of Peace Program in Scouting. The Messengers of Peace is a Worldwide Scouting movement, embraced by the BSA in 2012, as an initiative that seeks to further Baden-Powell’s vision of world peace by encouraging Scouts to help solve conflicts in their schools, build links between divided communities, teach their peers about health and wellness, and repair environmental damage. I have focused on the interfaith dimension.  Currently, I sit on the BSA National Committee for Messengers of Peace. However, I didn't get there overnight.

Aided by my wife, and by my Venturing Crew, and many other Scouts and Scouters in NCAC, I have helped to organize gatherings of Scouts of all faiths in events that helped to get them to know each other, as well as to do meaningful things, such as packaging meals to help feed those in need. A few examples of the MOP projects include bringing American Scouts and Egyptian Scouts together from all three Abrahamic faiths; as the assembly of meals followed by a visit to a Church, a Synagogue, and a Mosque; and the bringing of together Scouts, Scouters, and Parents from Abrahamic faiths to learn about fasting in Christianity, Islam, and Judaism. 

I earned my "Ph.D. in the University of Scouting" by providing a Messengers of Peace Program course. I led the Messengers of Peace exhibit within Faith and Beliefs for the World Jamboree in the Summer of 2019. This course has helped me in my role on the National Committee as I have helped to develop some training for the National BSA program. I hope to truly elevate the program and make a significant impact.

My other passion is working with Veterans and civic engagement. It happens to be a part of my professional life as well as my volunteer life. From a volunteer perspective, I'm the Deputy Director for the American Muslim Armed Forces and Veteran Affairs Council (AMAFandVAC), the Executive Director of the Muslim Military Members (MMM), a member of the All Dulles Area Muslim Society (ADAMS) Civic Engagement team, a member of the Technology Solutions Team for the Foundation of Social Organizations & Leadership (FOSOL), and a Chief Election Officer and Election Officer Trainer for the Fairfax County Office of Elections.

With all of that, you might be wondering what I do for a living. I am an IT Professional/Project Manager. I am currently working with the Department of Veterans Affairs, in their implementation of the Electronic Health Records Modernization (EHRM) program. My current role is Operations Oversight Technical Expert.

I look forward to interacting with all of you. I have more about me with some videos of me from the news and other sources, at http://www.muslimscouting.org/abdulrashid-abdullah/.

Joined: 8 October 2019
Admin User's profile picture

Admin User - Member

Joined: 8 July 2019
Ajmal Shirzai's profile picture

Ajmal Shirzai - Member

Over 20 yrs of experience working with NGOs in Afghanistan and abroad.   Since 2011, I am managing the Future Generations country program in Afghanistan.  I have a BSc degree in agriculture from Kabul University-Afghanistan and a MSc degree in rural development from Purbanchal University, Nepal; and a second MA degree in applied community change from Future Generations University, West Virginia, USA.   

MEMBER OF PROGESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS:
- Co Chair of CANSA (Climate Action Networks for South Asia) in Afghanistan,
- Member of National Technical Committee for Global Environmental Facilities – Small Grant Program in Afghanistan.
- Alumnus of Harvard Kennedy School of Governance, Harvard University, Boston, USA.
- Alumnus of Near East South Asia (NESA) Centre for Strategic Study, Washington DC, USA
- Alumnus of Asia Pacific Centre for Strategic Study (APCSS), Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
- Alumnus of Future Generations Graduation School, West Virginia, USA
- Master Sports (Basketball) 

Joined: 8 May 2018
Akmal Ahmad Shah's profile picture

Akmal Ahmad Shah - Member

Joined: 27 February 2023
Albert Nyamwana's profile picture

Albert Nyamwana - Member

I live in Bujumbura, the capital city of Burundi. I'm a Civil Engineer, and since 2004, an Assistant Lecturer at Ecole Normale Supérieure de Bujumbura, a higher education institution that trains teachers for the secondary schools.

My house is like a tent where 6 scouts live: my wife, me and our 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls.

Joined: 1 October 2019
Alexis Zaring's profile picture

Alexis Zaring - Member

My career is in environmental policy and compliance. I have a background in Environmental Engineering, but a passion for policy development. I most looking forward to applying what I learn in this program to my experiences in the engineering field and my environmental service.  

Joined: 6 February 2019
Alina Goulding's profile picture

Alina Goulding - Member

Joined: 12 November 2020
277 members